Child’s Valentine’s Goodie Bag Tutorial
2 pieces of felt fabric 9” wide x 18” tall
1 yard grosgrain ribbon (1” wide)
1 square of felt fabric
1. Take one piece of your 9x18 felt and fold in half, right sides together. It should now be 9” x 9”.
2. Using the fold as the bottom of the bag, sew up both sides, using a 1/4” seam allowance. This is the outside of your bag.
3. Do the same with the other 9x18 felt. This is the lining of your bag.
4. Take the corner of your bag and flatten it into a triangle. (Think line up side seam with center of bag bottom). Place bag in sewing machine with tip of triangle lined up with sewing plate. Stitch straight across the triangle.
5. Do the same to the other bottom corner of bag. When you turn bag right side out, you should now have a flat bottom to your bag.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the bag lining.
7. From your square of felt, cut a heart shape that will fit nicely centered on your bag.
8. Using embroidery floss, blanket stitch your heart to the front of your bag
9. With bag turned right side out and lining turned inside out, slip the bag inside of the lining. Now, your bag and your lining should have right sides touching each other.
10. Line up side seams and pin the sides together.
11. Cut your grosgrain ribbon in half. These will be your handles. You may choose to cut your handles even shorter if you’d like.
12. Line your first handle up between the bag and the bag lining. Make sure the “loop” of your handle is facing down between these layers and the ends of your handles are lined up with the top of the bag.
13. Pin your handle in place and pin the bag to the bag lining along that same side.
14. Repeat with other handle on other side of bag. Make sure that your handle lines up with the other handle you just pinned to the other side.
15. Starting just before the right side of your handle on one side of the bag, stitch bag, bag lining, and handles, going all the way around the bag until you’ve sewn over all four sections of handles. Stop before completing the full circle, as to leave you and opening for turning everything right side out again.
16. Turn everything right side out. Tuck your lining into your bag.
17. Folding in the raw edge on your opening along the top, top stitch around entire top of bag.